Color applied : Metallic Gray
Here I tell you about how to spray paint an EPS wall panel. (EPS = extruded polystyrene, Diffusor = breaking, scattering a soundwave)
The starting point is a white – uncolored – wall panel, non-colored from production. As EPS doesn’t stand against any form of alcohols, a primer has to be applied. Otherwise, the spray propellant will eat away on the surface. The primer is water based, and propellant other than alcohol based.
Always wear eye-protection and preferable a breathing mask as well as gloves. Have a well-ventilated work(shop) area.
The Painting procedure
My target was to create a metallic – shiny – surface, if possible somewhat reflective – like a mirror.
In this case, one(1) piece of 60×60 cm panel was painted. The deepest well-to-tower difference is 13 cm. ( in e-shop : 2 pcs, black, grey or white : € 149,60 )
In order for the prime / paint not to collect to drops (and start to run) one has to keep a minimum of 25 cm distance as well as keep quite a smooth movement back and forth – always in a new route.
(Further below, the specific details can be found of how to apply the primer and final color layers.)
It is an advantage to mount the panel in a slightly slanted position. This way, it is easy to rotate the panel between the application of layers.
Spraying the Paint
After having laid primer on 3 occasions – with 24 hours drying in between – it was time for the Grey spray paint. With alcoholic propellant.
In these photos the day-light is quite limited – the lighting is done by LED lighting and flash photography.
Details of applying primer and final color layers
- For every 2 pcs panels, you need to use 1 can primer + 1 can paint
- Line up the panels side-by-side with only a 4 cm gap, as a 3×2 set-up.
- If no other means of inclination, the panels can lie with backs on ground.
- Spray at an slight angle, keep the same angle across the whole setup.
- Wait 5 minutes before next layer,
- then spray the next layer from a 90 different compass direction (think of panels as the face if the earth)
- Wait 24 hours before the next primer layers.
- Then wait 24hours before applying paint.
- Spray paint the same way as with the primer.
- Do not move too slow; the paint may build up fast and drops may form / start to run.
About the author
Martin R.C. Andersson started out as a mechanical engineer, slowly developing a soft spot for project management – in which he has worked 10 years as a project manager.
Although having resigned from a corporate career within project management (2015), the soft spot he keeps alive through a keen interest in room environment treatment. By control of sound and light, looking to tweak for that noise-free listening… which should be a norm.
Values silence, and now and then solitude.
Thinks Mindfulness is a ‘state of being’ when work really gets done.
When thoughts flow – without disruption – to reach either a creative state or finish what’s at hand.
When the outside world is tuned out, performance is tuned in.
Feels best when Minimalism, Functionalism and Art come together, crossing paths.